Tuesday 8 April 2008

Aye, Google?

Despite its having been around for apparently three years or so, I’ve only just stumbled upon i-Google. Exactly how I’ve managed to miss this particular Internet innovation for so long is beyond me. I recall opening my gmail account simply to escape the daily spam deluge hitting my old e-mail account. This in turn led me to Blogger and eventually a whole plethora of other Google based paraphernalia.

When I think about Google’s global ubiquity and their apparent stranglehold on all things Internet, I feel I should do with a shudder, but I can’t seem to help myself, like a web browsing junkie looking for his next fix.

Still, I really must doff my cap in their general direction for i-Google. Over the past few year’s I appear to have hermetically sealed myself within the walls of social networking sites, rarely popping my head above the parapet to see what’s going on out there in the real world.

Now I’ve got a new, shiny, customisable homepage, chock full of technical trinkets and web-wise wonderments. Best of all is the ability to be updated with links to my most favourite external webshites and blogs.

Thanks Google for freeing me from the tyranny of networking socially!

6 comments:

Freakosaurus said...

You know I've been having trouble adding links to my igoogle homepage, I've never been able to figure out how to make it work, it always says "error". I dunno I'm just rubbish I think.

But aye it's quite good but I don't use it that much because I can't get the link thing working.

The Blogtometrist said...

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong? I know some of the things I've tried adding have failed, so I presume there are bugs in some of the applications.

I mainly use it to link to news sites and blogs, each time there's an update, I know about it straight away, without having to click through my bookmarks anymore.

I'm a big fan of Charlie Brooker, so I need never miss another acerbic rant by him ever again.

Gorilla Bananas said...

These internet tools are more useful than an elephant's willy, which has at least 71 documented uses.

The Blogtometrist said...

Wow, a comment from a stranger, and a Gorilla no less. I suspect you may have tracked me down via Lord Likely's blog eh?

As a matter of interest, gorilla bananas, you wouldn't happen to have blogged the 71 documented uses for an elephant's willy perchance?

Freakosaurus said...

Oh I love Charlie Brooker too but I missed loads of his Screenwipe unfortunately and I got it to work btw, I think you're right that some of the apps just have glitches and it's just your luck if you get them working.

The Blogtometrist said...

Yay! We both love Charlie Brooker, let's go and capture him, keep him captive and get him to write for only us.

We could break his leg and keep him in a log cabin or summat!