Saturday 12 April 2008

For The Love of Waffle

Foolishly I agreed to work overtime today, 9am - 1pm. It had already been a long enough week without adding to it, but how else am I gonna bank roll the child's seemingly continuous attendance at Birthday parties?

Truth be told, it wasn't all bad. In fact it was better than going to work on a normal day. No stress related phone calls from unrelenting morons, no goon-like colleagues to put up with, double time and best of all; I got to tackle the work whilst listening to the radio.

Long ago, in the days B.C. (before child) I used to regularly enjoy listening to the radio on a Saturday morning whilst happily going about the household chores, unhindered by requests to do this or come and play with... such and such.

I tend to enjoy the banter of radio DJs that speak to me on my level and appeal to my sense of humour. Therefore Jonathan Ross has always been a staple feature of my radio diet. Today I took along my DAB radio to listen to Adam and Joe on 6 Music, having recently become addicted to various BBC podcasts. Everything was going swimmingly until Donna came down to join us from reception "What's this crap you're listening to?" she demanded to know (presumably not caring to know the answer) "Don't you listen to anything decent, like Galaxy?".

I chose not to rise to this and to save having to listen to either her complaining or dreadful dance/"R&B" tunes we compromised and selected a slightly less torturous commercial station to listen to. "I can't stand listening to all that waffling on" she said "I just want to listen to the tunes". "That's funny, 'cause I can't stand to listen to an endless stream of poxy adverts" I retorted petulantly.

I came to realise that by downloading the podcasts, I'm actively seeking out "the waffle" mind you; a bit of witty, senseless banter is always more likely to help me of to the land of nod than any old trancey dance shite.

I don't know, the youth of today...

No comments: